Saturday, September 5, 2009

Handing over my Flute Studio...

I have been running a performing and teaching flute studio in Pretoria, South Africa for the past 10 years plus.  My Studio developed into quite an empire in Pretoria... or dare I claim, in South Africa(?)  I'm not saying this because I think I'm so wonderful or talented or... The Universe just allowed some wonderfully talented musicians, students and enthusiastic music lovers to cross my path. This resulted in some extraordinary concerts, happy audiences, inspired students, and so on.

At the end of November this year, my four beautiful Persian cats and me will be leaving South Africa for Lyon, France.  This is a long-time dream coming true.  For as long as I can remember I yearned to speak French and live in France.  Well, I now have a fairly good command of the language, chapeau à l'Alliance Française de Prétoria, and I will soon be living in France!

What to do about my Studio was a great concern when I decided to move to France.  My students are very close to my heart and I considered many options and possible teachers to take over this very important task of facilitating their musical paths and assisting them in exploring and developing their musical talents.  I assured my students that they needn't be concerned because the right person would appear.  I have to admit, though, that as time moved on I became slightly concerned, because the right person did not appear...

Then one day a dear friend who is also a flute player/teacher phoned to ask if I could recommend a good attorney to take care of a personal matter for her.  As I was on my way to my attorney that particular day, I offered to introduce her to him.  We met at his office and over a cup of coffee, in the course of our conversation she jokingly said that perhaps she should take over my Studio.  Neither of us regarded this as a serious option at the time.  The possibility of her taking over my Studio kept recurring in my thoughts, though... and it appears, in her thoughts too.  Well to make a long story short, Bobby van der Watt will be taking over Mikki's Flute Studio!  I couldn't be happier, and it appears neither could some of my students...  I have already introduced her to my adult students in a workshop situation and she fitted right in, or they just suited her... which ever way.  Tomorrow my younger students and their 'new' teacher are coming over for tea and I'm confident that all will go well...

No comments:

Post a Comment